Use the resources provided here, both in your classroom and on a field trip to the Zoo, to connect your students to wildlife, plants, and wild places. You will find a variety of activities and lesson plans incorporating different curriculum areas.
The North Carolina Zoo has new "inquiry" packs for teachers (including home school teachers) to checkout during their field trip to the Zoo. These packs have all the materials and directions to do grade appropriate activities onsite that meet the North Carolina Essential Standards. Starting spring 2019 we will have new distance learning opportunities.
Lesson Plans and Field Trip Activities
- Resources for Grades K - 2
- Resources for Grades 3 - 5
- Resources for Grades 6 - 8
- Resources for Grades 9 - 12
Join Rob Nelson, from Untamed Science as he learns more about the North Carolina Zoo in this exciting and educational video series. Each video is approximately 5-minutes. Some of the topics include hellbender conservation, African vulture conservation, composting, polar bear reproduction, and animal enrichment.
Share Your Bright Ideas
Email your ideas for lessons or activities and we will consider them as a resource for our website.
Noteworthy Links and Downloads
- Conservation Comment - African Elephant
- Conservation Comment - Giraffe
- Conservation Comment - Native Snakes
- Conservation Comment - Pine Barrens Tree Frog
- Conservation Comment - Red Wolf
- Conservation Training
- Field Trip Earth
- Lessons in Conservation
- North Carolina Zoo Conservation Report
- Polar Bear International
- Aquatic WILD
- Environmental Protection Agency - New Bedford Harbor
- National Geographic
- Natural Wonders: A Guide to Early Childhood Environmental Education
- North America Association for Environmental Education
- North Carolina Environmental Education
- Project Learning Tree
- School Garden Wizard