We kindly ask that all guests abide by the North Carolina Zoo's rules and guidelines for the safety of our guests, animals, staff and volunteers.
The Following Items are Not Permitted Inside the Park
- Balls or other athletic equipment
- Backpacks (see Zoo rules below for more information)
- Bicycles, hoverboards, scooters, skateboards, skates, shoes with built in wheels or other recreational devices
- Large coolers or rolling bags (see Zoo rules below for more information)
- Drones or remote control toys
- Firearms or weapons of any kind, concealed or otherwise
- Glass bottles
- Noise makers
- Outside food (see Zoo rules below for more information)
- Plastic disposable straws
- Steering tricycle style strollers (see Zoo rules below for more information)
- The North Carolina Zoo is a smoke-free facility.
- There are no refunds or rain checks offered due to animal availability or weather conditions.
- No pets are allowed inside the Zoo. The Zoo does not offer pet boarding facilities. We discourage guests from bringing pets and leaving them in parked vehicles. Distressed pets will be removed from vehicles. (Service Animal Policy)
- Please keep the Zoo clean by placing all litter in the proper trash and recycling receptacles.
- Costumed characters are not allowed at the Zoo unless the person is an approved contractor of the Zoo.
- No adult costumes, adult masks or adult face painting please.
- We reserve the right not to allow any bag, parcel or other item to be brought into the Zoo, and to deal with any unattended object in such a way as we consider appropriate.
- Show common courtesy to fellow guests by not using profanity or engaging in unsafe, illegal, disruptive or offensive behavior.
- Obey all posted signs. The Zoo requires all guests to remain on designated pathways at all times. Climbing or crossing barriers or entering restricted areas is prohibited. Habitats and enclosures are designed to protect visitors and animals from harm.
- Feeding, chasing and teasing the animals is strictly prohibited. Do not tap on glass or shout at animals, including those that are free roaming.
- Proper attire, including shoes and shirts, must be worn at all times. We reserve the right to deny admission to or remove any person wearing attire that we consider inappropriate or attire that could detract from the experience of other guests.
- Supervise your children at all times. Guests under age 16 must be accompanied by a guest age 16 or older at all times.
- Access to attractions depends upon the safety rules for each ride and attraction. (See rules posted at attractions for details.)
- Backpacks are not permitted inside the Park for school children that are here with field trips or summer camps. Backpacks that are used as camera bags, diaper bags or purses are permitted. All bags are subject to be searched by Zoo staff.
- Coolers (no larger than 10.5" x 13.4" x 9.14") for special dietary needs or medical purposes can be checked at either entrance, tagged and brought inside the Zoo. Small coolers or insulated bags that contain approved beverages and small snacks are permitted. All bags and coolers are subject to be searched by Zoo staff.
- Guests are welcome to carry a bottled, non-alcoholic beverage into the Park and a small snack. There are water fountains available throughout the Park if you choose to bring a refillable water bottle.
- Full picnic style meals are not permitted inside the Park. Guests are welcome to enjoy a picnic style meal at one of our picnic areas located outside the Admissions gates and may present their daily Admissions receipt for express re-entry.
- Grilling is not permitted at the picnic areas or in our parking lots.
- Guests with strict dietary or medical needs will be permitted to bring food into the Zoo. Please check with Guest Services at Admissions upon arrival so that your bag/small cooler can be tagged and brought inside the Zoo.
- Tricycle style strollers are acceptable as long as the child rider does not have any control to steer or pedal the vehicle.