Living With Nature Distance Learning Events
Living with Nature is our free distance learning event series available to schools and home school groups. Each event features a different topic (see below for the academic year 2019-2020 topics) and they will be broadcasted live. Students and teachers can submit questions during the event, for our experts to answer.
What do you need to know about the events?
- The series has been designed with the North Carolina Standard Course of Study in mind for grades 6th -12th.
- Each event is 1-hour in length. Participate live or watch the recording at a later date.
- There are pre- and post- activities related to each event available for teachers to use in their classes.
- You must preregister for the event.
Registration is now closed for the 2019-2020 events. Check back in August to start registering for the 2020-2021 events
The 2020-2021 Academic Year dates are:
- Wednesday October 28, 2020
- Wednesday November 18, 2020
- Wednesday February 24, 2021
- Wednesday April 28, 2021
Videos for Past Events Available on the Event Page:
- International Wildlife Conservation - March 25, 2020
- Green Practices - February 12, 2020
- Animal Behavior & Biology 2019 - October 23, 2019
- North America Wildlife Conservation - September 18, 2019
- Green Practices at the North Carolina Zoo - January 23, 2019
- North Carolina Wildlife Conservation - February 27, 2019
- International Wildlife Conservation - March 26, 2019
- Animal Behavior & Biology - May 7, 2019
*Because these events are live and we are "taking" you around the North Carolina Zoo with us instead of being in a studio, we also have weather dates planned. These dates will be used if the Zoo is closed for any reason (e.g., snow, hurricane).
Finally, we want these events to work for you and your class. They have been designed to be flexible and interactive. Here are some suggestions of how you can use them with your class(es).
- Participate in the live online event and/or watch the recorded event at a later date.
- Choose to only participate in some of the pre-/post-activities.
- Use the video library to supplement your class.
Many of the videos from our Untamed Science collection support our Living with Nature Series by giving you additional information on projects discussed or similarly related topics. These videos are all ~5-minutes in length. They can be used to broaden a lesson with the distance learning event or can be used separately on their own.
For questions or further information email SchoolPrograms@nczoo.org.