Have you ever dreamed about spending the night at a zoo? Now is your chance! The North Carolina Zoo is proud to offer Zoo Snoozes for both groups and families. Group snoozes allow preformed groups (e.g., scouts, church, school, 4-H) to share the experience together. Groups please skip to the next section to learn more about what we offer for you. Family snoozes allow individual families to experience a snooze with other families. We are offering two exciting family snoozes this year:
• On July 13, 2019 we will be offering our Safari snooze (see program description below), which starts at 6 pm.
• On August 17, 2019 we will be offering our Creatures of the Night snooze (see program description below) which starts at 7pm.
Zoo Snoozes are $25 per person for the first four family members. After four the price is $15 for each additional person. Due to the nature of the activities everyone must be 7 years old or older. To register contact the Zoo education office by phone 336.879.7719, toll free 1.800.488.0444 ext. 7719 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Overnight Experiences for Groups
Looking for a fun educational experience for your group, ages 7 and up? A Zoo Snooze may be just the thing for you. The North Carolina Zoo offers exciting overnight programs to engage your brain, entertain your senses, and enhance your environmental awareness. Each overnight adventure includes special presentations, activities, a light snack, an outdoor experience and a craft to take home.The fun will resume the next morning, after a light breakfast, until 9 a.m. when you continue the adventure on your own in the North Carolina Zoo's 500-acre park.
Zoo Snoozes are offered on Friday and Saturday evenings, February-November, subject to availability. A limited number of Wednesday and Thursday evening program dates are available each year as well.
- Program Descriptions
- Registration Requirements and What to Bring
|For Program Season||Registration Begins|
|Winter|Spring (Feb.-May)||August 1|
|Summer (June-Aug.)||December 1|
|Fall (Sept.-Nov.)||March 1|
(Includes Children & Chaperones)
|Creatures of the Night||7 & up||15-30||$600.00 for 15 participants. $20 for each additional person up to but not exceeding the maximum.|
|Scutes, Scales and Slippery Skin||7 & up||15-30||$600.00 for 15 participants. $20 for each additional person up to but not exceeding the maximum.|
|Zoo Trek Snooze||7 & up||12-20||$650.00 up to 15 participants. $20 for each additional person but not exceeding the maximum.|
|Things with Wings||7 & up||15-30||$600.00 for 15 participants. $20 for each additional person up to but not exceeding the maximum.|
Creatures of the Night
Go batty over creatures of the night! Explore skills and senses of nocturnal animals in this fun and exciting program. We will shed some light on the mystery of what’s really going "bump in the night". Through presentations and activities, participants will develop a greater understanding of our nighttime neighbors, their roles in our environment and how we can help them. Students will have a blast building bat boxes and a hoot dissecting owl pellets.
Scutes, Scales and Slippery Skin
Slither and slide your way into the secretive world of reptiles and amphibians. Discover the differences between these animals and what they can tell us about our environment. Spend the evening exploring the world of these elusive backyard creatures with games, activities and presentations. Invite a toad to live in your yard by building a toad abode.
Zoo Trek Snooze
Your zoo snooze is a unique opportunity for small groups with a maximum of 20 people to engage with the zoo. Through a professional zookeepers eyes and personal stories learn about their connection with the animals under their care. See what is being done at the zoo to ensure they thrive and discover the conservation efforts around the globe. This snooze also provides hands on activities about native culture. Animal habitat selection will be determined by Zoo staff. Please note that this is added opportunity requires prompt start time of 6pm instead of 7pm.
Things with Wings
Soar into the night learning about why animals have wings! You will be surprised what you learn. From flight to camouflage to communication, learn the many ways these critters use their wings. Through games, activities and meeting some live winged creatures, you will get an idea what it is like to live in their world. You will get a chance to meet a zookeeper and learn what it is like to be a bat. After you leave, continue your experience by attracting native birds to your backyard with a bird feeder you build. Please note that this added opportunity requires starting the program at 6 p.m. instead of 7 p.m.
For all snoozes please read "Registration Requirements and What to Bring" section below.
Registration Requirements and What to Bring
Zoo Snooze Registration Requirements
- Chaperone to youth ratio: Groups must have one (1) chaperone for every ten (10) youth. Groups may not have more than one (1) chaperone for every one (1) youth. Please note that chaperones and children are included in the minimum and maximum number for each program.
- Siblings and additional adults are not permitted at zoo snooze programs. If you have additional people who would like to visit the zoo with your group, they may meet you at zoo admissions, at 9 a.m. the following morning. They are required to pay regular admission fees. If you need accommodations for additional guests, please visit: VisitAsheboroNC.com
- Once you have reserved a date for your program, a non-refundable deposit of $250 is due. You have two (2) weeks after registration to mail in your deposit. Checks should be made payable to: NC Zoo Society Education Fund, and sent to North Carolina Zoo Education, 4401 Zoo Parkway, Asheboro NC 27205. Once your deposit is received, a confirmation will be sent to you via email. The program is not confirmed until deposit payment is received. Non-payment will be viewed as canceling the reservation, and the date will be opened to other groups.
- An exact number of participants (children and chaperones) and final payment are due four (4) weeks prior to the scheduled program. Please be advised that after this date numbers cannot be changed. There are NO EXCEPTIONS to our maximum number of participants. These numbers are set to ensure a quality experience for everyone.
- Zoo Snooze is an all weather adventure. In the event of severe weather, the Zoo reserves the right to cancel a program and reschedule your group. However, if this is not an option, a refund will be available. If you find it necessary to cancel your booking, payment is only refundable if the Zoo is able to fill the date with another group. Please note that the $250 deposit is non-refundable regardless.
- Zoo admission is a component of the Zoo Snooze program and is only valid the day following your Zoo Snooze. No rainchecks!
What to Bring to a Zoo Snooze
- Weather appropriate clothing (Be prepared for a change)—Zoo Snooze is an all weather adventure!!! Heavy coat, hat, gloves, if it's cold. Rain gear if it’s wet. Sunscreen and hat if it's hot, etc.
- Comfortable, closed-toe, walking shoes - please NO FLIP-FLOPs. This is for safety reasons.
- Refillable water bottle
- Sleeping bag
- Sleeping pad or air mattress (especially for adults)
- Hand Towel & Washcloth -there are NO shower facilities available
- Toothpaste & Toothbrush
- Personal Items (toiletries, cosmetics, etc)
- Small Backpack or Waist Pack
- Snacks/ lunch for your day in the Park (Coolers are not allowed in the Park, but you can keep them in your car.)
- Bug spray
The Following are Prohibited on Zoo Snoozes:
- Flip-Flops and/or backless shoes
- Light-up shoes
- Electronics—portable televisions, laptops, radios, Ipods, mp3 players, video games, etc
The North Carolina Zoo cannot be responsible for lost or misplaced items, or for items retrieved accidentally by other participants. Be sure to label ALL gear.